Having mastered the X’s and O’s of Tonya’s free pieced lettering challenge, it was time to moooo-ve on to new horizons. Using a pack of FQ’s that I purchased at the Sisters Quilt Show in 2002, I designed the pattern for the cow’s head — that turned out to be a learning experience all in itself. The first iteration of drawings looked more like the Velveteen Rabbit than a cow. I went for something a little less realistic looking, and the result is the series of silly posts about visualization I put up earlier. I am so grateful to everyone who told me that they could tell it was a cow!
Next up, the lettering. I went for the standard 4 inch block that Tonya recommends, and fussy cut the fabric for the center of each “o.” After that, it was a matter of holding my mouth just right as I pieced it all together. As with the Corn and Bean top, it lies absolutely flat despite all the odd seam lines. Amazing!
The final step was to place the eyes. Now “moue” is defined as a small grimace, but real cows are pretty much expressionless. They have the ultimate poker face. (If Blogger ‘s upload were working properly this morning, I’d show you.)
However, my graphic cow has any number of expressions depending upon how the eyes are placed:
I won’t attach the eyes in their final position until I’m done quilting the top. Perhaps I’ll place a small button hole in the top so that I can rotate the eyes about as my mood fits.