“Bush” Woffard came to Texas in the early 1850’s, married, and purchased 320 acres of the Matthew Goliher Survey in Henderson County, about 3 miles southeast of Fincastle. The first house was built of logs and handmade brick; after 1855 the house was expanded to include a long front gallery porch, two log rooms and a dog run, and clapboard siding. The house has since been moved to the Athens Botanical Gardens and is the oldest surviving house in the county.
Woffard worked as a farmer and owned a Fincastle mercantile business, called Woffard & Son. He also served as a lieutenant in a reserve unit from Fincastle during the Civil War.
The McLane family moved to Henderson County about 1869. They first worked on Miller farms near Fincastle, and then lived and worked for a few years on the Woffard place. Members of the family most assuredly visited this house on business and social errands.